Tuesday, April 15, 2008

BIG NEWS!!

Last week I called the OS's office a few times (okay, maybe more than a few and I am sure they got sick of hearing from me) to see if they had decided anything. Finally, on Friday I spoke with Jamie and she told me that Dr. Weldon would like to see me on Monday at 12:30. He was meeting with Dr. Post over the weekend and looking at my molds. I was so anxious all weekend wondering what he would say.
I guess the plan was for him to look at my bite, do some measurements, make a determination about exactly what would need to be done and then decide if he could do it on the 7th on his own or push it out until August and have an assisting physician available.
Well, before we left, he stated that it was a pretty straight forward surgery, similar cuts that were made for the SARPE. He said it would be a 1 piece Lefort, he will lower the maxilla and shave some of the bone above it and then try and replace it with plates and screws Jaime, his assistant, said that this is my "big surgery." He also said that he was very comfortable doing it on his own!
So… July 7th is still the day!

BUT… now we get to the scary part…
I might have to be wired shut... for 2 to 6 weeks! OMG! I'm already having a panic attack just thinking about it. My immediate response was, you didn't have to do that after my SARPE, why this time? His response was that during the SARPE he wasn't trying to match up my top jaw with my bottom one. He said that if I remembered correctly, during the SARPE, after he made the cuts, my maxilla just fell. He had to put these wires up through my maxilla to keep it stable. He says that I have very thin bones and he wants to make certain that everything heals properly. Also, because of my thin bone issue, ww don't know how well the plates and screws will hold so, keeping me wired while everything heals will help everything stay where it needs to.
So….. all of you wired people… I need to hear from you!! Just the thought makes me feel claustrophobic.
He said he may or may not keep the splint in. He'll use one to line things up but, he'll determine during surgery whether to keep it in or not.
He also said that I would be in ICU for 1 maybe 2 days. That freaks me out a little bit too. I'm excited things are moving forward yet a little scared too.
Now's the time for me to get really healthy. I've been fighting off that cold so many of you are talking about since last Thursday. It just doesn't seem to want to go away.

So, 10 1/2 weeks until vacation and 11 1/2 weeks until surgery, I can do this! The cottage we are renting in Maine sleeps 10 people. My husband and I and our 2 girls will go up on June 28th and spend until Thursday alone and then on Thursday some of my family will join us so we can celebrate July 4th with all of them, right on the beach. They will stay 2 nights. All of us have never been away together. It should be hectic but fun. I'm sure it will help keep my mind off my surgery, at that time, it will only be days away.

The real countdown begins… I hope I end up having some surgery buddies!!

16 comments:

holski said...

Hey Michelle!
This all sounds great! I am so happy for you. You have a wonderful attitude... you CAN do this! It is too bad that you didn't know you'd be wired shut earlier, because I really think time helps you freakout less. I've known from the beginning that I'd be wired, and now I don't think about it too much. You'll do fine. I'll probably be getting my wires off the week you have surgery, so we will KIND OF be surgery buddies... =)

Michelle said...

Holski,
We'll difinitely have to stay connected. How long will you be wired for?

holski said...

the big 6 weeks. None of this rubber band business. metal wires for the entire 6 weeks. liquid diet for the entire time. ugh. =)

I will be blogging a lot during that time, because I'll be home.. so at least you'll have lots of good reading material before you go in.

holski said...

forgot to mention, I will NOT have a splint... which I am happy about after reading others' stories about how annoying they are...

chris k said...

No matter what, all you have to do is show up. Hang tough Michelle, you got this.

Kristy Eng said...

michelle thats great news. Dont worry about the hospital stay, i was in 2 nights and its a good rest time, plus amazing pain drugs, hehe...so take the time away and recover.

As for wiring, i was only tightly banded with a splint...it sucks but honestly u get used to it and you survive, its not THAT bad...1st week is the worst, but ull get by it...not to worry

Just relax and enjoy your vacation!!! let the count down begin

bridget said...

How familiar! Michelle, being wired shut is no picnic but you'll make it through. Then you'll look back and be amazed at yourself. I have LOTS of advice for you, when the time comes, but the main thing is to know you'll get through it.
I was told I'd be in the ICU the first day or two as well, but I never even saw it because they didn't have the beds - so I stayed in the recovery room for the first 24 hours or so. Be grateful for the ICU/recovery room time - it means you'll have 1-2 nurses there JUST for you.

Shontelly said...

Awesome! Your family vaca is going to be a blast. Perfect timing too. I feel ya on the pre surgery jitters. I really really do. Your going to be fine, though, Michelle!! I'll say some prayers for you and I know a lot of you family and friends will too.

nabukay said...

hi Michelle its good you have a date. the best part of having ortho buddies is that they are there to support each other and i have no doubt that they won't do it for you. my sister and her hubby are based in Boston and her in laws are in maine so while you are there i'll feel closer to you. You are in our thoughts...

stephanie said...

Good luck!! Congrats!!

Heather said...

So glad to hear you have some good news! Congrats on everything working out. Going to Maine is going to be a lot of fun for you guys. I went to South Portland to visit several years ago and had a great time so enjoy!

Michelle said...

Hey there, thanks for realing me back...Ive been meaning to post, every day I think about it. Im just so mad that the bends in my top wire has not made one bit of a difference. I got two bends, one on each side of my front two teeth, instead of just one inbetween them...perhaps he should have done it the other way. Oh well, what can I do. I really want to call him up for an immediate appt, I feel like i am wasting time. Glad to hear that your surgery is still on, the wiring part sounds a little rough but you will handle it and before you know it you will be talking about debracing. Well, hope you are doing good....Im gonna go look for an updated pic on your blog. Chow

laura said...

Hooray for the 7th! Sounds like Holski, you, and I will be a buddy chain. As one gets her wires off the next goes in for surgery. I bet this recovery will have its sucky moments, but we can do it!

laura said...

btw how is the new kitty doing?

ingrid said...

All this is good news!! :) I was rubber banded for a week with a splint, I couldn't move my mouth at all, so it was pretty similar to being wired. It was a pretty miserable experience, but its all mind over matter. I kept a pair of scissors close by to make me feel better, but never used it. Every time I came close to it, I just think about how horrible it would be when they tie my teeth back together for longer.
The family vacation will be great! Perfect timing!

Tara said...

Congratulations on getting a date! You have waited LONG enough for this. I will be praying for a quick recovery and that being wired shut goes better then you expect. I wasn't wired or banded, but at times I almost wish I was. My muscles wanted to go back to their "old" positions, and I just didn't how to bite. At least you'll know how to bite! (trying to think of the positives) But I'll be thinking of you and saying lots of prayers for ya!