Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Ortho. update

Okay, so I really enjoyed my appointment today. I felt like I really got some questions answered that have been weighing on me.
I first wanted to start off though by telling you who my Oral Surgeon and my Orthodontist are. I haven’t done this yet and I feel it is important to tell you who the people are that are making such an impact on my life. My O.S. is Dr. Weldon, he is one of the most compassionate people I have ever met. My Ortho. is Dr. Post, he has made me feel like I am his only patient. He continues to make me feel very special and he truly makes me feel like we are on this journey together and that he also truly cares about the outcome as much as I do.
Okay, on to my treatment.
My first question to Dr. Post today was, "Why wasn't my expander tied off?" He told me that years ago he used to do that, but hasn't in quite a while. He feels it's definitely not necessary and has never had a problem with not tying them off.
Next, I asked about getting my bottom braces on. He told me he wanted to wait while he focused on my top teeth. He tells me we have a lot of work to do up there first. This was a little disappointing because I feel like we’re wasting time but, I have faith in his decisions.
I then asked the biggest question of the day… When will my expander come out??? He started to say late November, early December. I told him I was really hoping to have it out right before Thanksgiving, which would be 6 LONG months. He thought for a moment calculating the time and then said… Let’s take it out early November! He said he just wants to make sure that my bone has had enough time to heal before he removes it.
Woo Hoo!!!! I finally have a timeframe to look forward to.
So today, I had an 018 Nickel Titanium wire put on and a power chain that goes across my 4 front teeth. (numbers 7 – 10) I’m a little sore right now. My small power chain that I had on last time didn’t really bother me much, I think because things were still a little numb from my surgery. So, although it means I have some discomfort, it does mean that things are healing. He tells me next time I will get a stainless steel wire and that will start to really move things together.

My countdown begins…

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, Isn't it funny how good it feels just to ask the questions, regardless of their answer, you know, the answer never seems to be what we want to hear. But as long as you have confidence in him, that is all that matters and it sounds like you do. I am 100% thoroughly impressed with my OS and OD. It is also very interesting to see how everyone does things differently. I had the shorter time with RPE but yet no CHAIN...also bottoms in braces..but you know it really is silly of us to compare but yet it is basically a way of life that we have become accustomed to. I mean, we do the same thing with our children, our possessions, our everything, EVEN OUR TEETH. HeHeHe
So as it is natural to compare, we must all just be soooo thankful that GOD gave us such wonderful OS/OD's and the opportunity to make the changes and LOOK FABULOUS!
We will all get past these difficult stages and look back and say, wow, that wasn't as bad as it seemed. OK I will get off my inspirational soap box and go to bed. CHOW

Shontelly said...

Good for you Michelle!
My ortho is pretty cool too. His wife had the same surgeries as me so he was able to tell me from experience what I was about to go through. It certainly helps when they are pleasant. At least you can eat your Thanksgiving meal without having to force food from the top of your RPE the whole time!! SHOOT. I just thought of something.. my Thanksgiving meal may be all pureed. :( GREAT.
Anyhoo..Congrats on the powerchain! Is it still pink?

Michelle said...

Just think Shontell, if you have to eat mush this Thanksgiving, you should be perfect by the next one. I say bring my next surgery on, the sooner the better.
Don't I sound brave when it's your turn, wait till you have to listen to me come spring.
Yes, I stuck with the pink power chain and ligs. I didn't think about it beforehand and when they asked me I was like... Oh, I'll stick with the same.
I was thinking next time maybe blue.