Thursday, January 17, 2008

OS Update!!

I am trying not to get too excited about my appointment today. I feel like everything went so well though. He addressed my concerns that I spoke of earlier. None of which, he seemed to think were very serious. He thinks the roof of my mouth may just be from the way my bone healed after surgery. It’s really very minor and doesn’t really bother me terribly, I feel at ease with that answer and happy that something wasn’t wrong.
He thinks the clicking in my jaw is just part of my jaw problems that will hopefully be fixed with my next surgery. He was actually really pleased with the results already. When I first went to see him, when I opened my mouth, my jaw popped horribly. It’s significantly better than it was. In time, hopefully it will be fixed.
My lips… he can’t think of anything the surgery would have done to them. He said he really just thinks it’s the braces. My lips don’t close naturally, it’s definitely forced. So between that and the rubbing of the braces, he just thinks they are constantly irritated.


Ok… now for the surgery part. He said he really is pleased with the way my teeth are coming together. He still feels that upper jaw surgery is still the best choice for me. I mentioned to him that Dr. Post had mentioned a few adjustments back, a possible lower advancement. He said in his opinion, he would prefer just doing the upper jaw surgery. He said he feels we can get at least a 95%+ bite with just doing the upper jaw. He feels if you can get that close, its best not to do more if it isn’t necessary. I have thought a lot lately about how I would feel if he said this. I think I am really okay with it. I think being able to just have the one jaw done and being that close is okay with me. I have thought a lot about the complications and lingering problems you can have after lower jaw surgery so I guess, if I don’t have to chance it, I won’t. Maybe I’m just chicken to press the issue, but I really feel comfortable with this decision.

I left his office at about 4:45 and he said he was still planning to speak with the Ortho. tonight. He said he would get his staff to resubmit the Ins. paperwork to make sure we are all set there. So, before I left, he said we could tentatively look at March for a surgery date. I immediately felt the butterflies and the excitement. His practice though, is incredibly busy so, I’m not going to hold my breath until we have a definite date.

He said the cuts for the surgery are very similar to the ones he made for my SARPE. He said it’s a little more involved, but he suspects I won’t be in the hospital for more than a night or two. He said I did really well with my SARPE so it would probably just be the one night. I have to cover for somebody’s vacation at work for one week in March, but other than that, everything could potentially work out okay.

My mind is running a mile a minute. I am praying that everything just falls into place.

7 comments:

Shontelly said...

I hope that it all falls into place for you too! March though - wow! Not too far away. YAY! Good idea about not getting your hopes up. I thought I was getting my last surgery around Halloween! See how that went.
Your lips are still giving your problems?! lol Sounds like they are just not getting enough moisture. Do u drink a lot of water? I find that when I drink tea during the day my lips get dry since it has caffeine in it and caffeine is a dehydrant.
So Michelle, forgive me for not remembering but what are they doing to your top jaw?

Michelle said...

I wouldn't stress over JUST one surgery. Be happy, Be thrilled. I really think if you needed lower than he would be the first to tell you. I think the fact that you have surrounded yourself with double surgery ortho buddies, this may be giving you a little sense of NEED for both..I'd be thrilled that he only thinks you need upper surgery. I'm scootin' out with neither. But...as I say that, my midlines have not been cooperating so I wonder what he will say next week when I go in. Perhaps he will just say keep wearing the rubber bands (Oh and lets add another) then come back in 8 weeks. Sometimes I think they could move this stuff along a little faster. Im up for it! Well good luck, time will move so quickly.

Tara said...

WOW, it's getting close! How exciting. I completely understand about being unsetteled on whether you need both jaws or just one. I started out with needing both jaws, then just upper, then the week before surgery, just lower. I put full faith in my surgeon and I don't regret one single bit of it. Hey, if you can get 95%+ with just one jaw, that's GREAT!!! That last 5% you probably won't even notice. My main concern with having only the lower instead of the upper was my "gummy" smile wouldn't be fixed. But it did actually get less, it's still SLIGHTLY there, but not that bad and not worth all of the extra risk and pain of having both jaws done. So I think you will be happy with what they decide! Good luck, and I can't wait until you have a date!!!
~ Tara

Michelle said...

Shontell, this is what he tells me will happen next. A LeFort I Osteotomy to shorten my posterior maxilla.
As he explained it yesterday, he will make similiar cuts as the SARPE, then he will shave off some of the bone in the back so my back teeth don't sit so low and then all my teeth will be able to meet, instead of just the back ones. I hope they don't put mine off as long as they did yours.

Michelle,
I'm trying not to stress, it's just that I want everything to turn out okay. I certainly don't want anything unneccesary, but I do want the final result to be good.
Good luck next week. How is that gap coming anyhow?

Tara, you're right, I just need to put all my faith into the surgeon I chose. He is wonderful and always makes me feel like he's doing the best for me. I think he is a little on the conservative side, but I guess that's okay too. I will have to post my profile sometime. I think it definately looks like I may need a lower advancement, but like my husband said, fixing the top jaw may just make the bottom one look better. Who knows... maybe he'll switch things around like yours did.

chris k said...

Dear Michelle,
I talked to your surgeon today and he said extreme clenching due to stress and/or anger will be extremely detrimental to your medical plan and that you should therefore "not subject yourself to the Bolts' whooping of the Patriots." Maybe you can get an early start on your taxes while Merriman beats the diaper off of Brady? Don't worry, we'll send you pictures from AZ. ;)

Katherine (Kate) said...

Happy to hear you felt good about your OS appointment and hope the scheduling all works out perfectly for you. Bottoms up to just one jaw!

Find that brain 'on/off' switch yet? If you do, let us know where you found that sneaky *^&%

Shontelly said...

oooooo GOTCHA. ;)