Thursday, March 13, 2008

More bad news

So things haven't gotten much better for me lately but, I am trying really hard to keep my chin up.

I went to the Ortho yesterday, for a scheduled adjustment. He looked around in there for a while, changed the bottom wire, tweaked the top one and then took out my TPA. Oh, it felt so good but, then he put it back in. He wants to create a little more room. Not sure why we didn't do it while the expander was in?? Who knows. The worst part of the appointment was that he said he spoke with my O.S.'s office again. He strongly feels that the surgery should be scheduled for July or August. How discouraging! I was really hoping for this to be behind me BEFORE summer. He wants me back in 4 weeks to change my lower wire again.

On an unrelated issue, I've been dealing with other health issues lately. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease back in 2000. This means I was hyperthyroid. After trying to fix it for a few years without luck, they gave me some radio-active iodine to basically kill my thyroid. Now I take a thyroid medication everyday and things have been going pretty well over the last few years. When you are hyperthyroid, everything in your body speeds up, when you go hypothyroid, it slows everything down. So, we've noticed over the years that every time my thyroid goes too low, my heart beats a little funky. They actually call it a minor prolonged QT. My heart doesn't shock itself to start beating again, quickly enough and I guess it has gotten worse all of a sudden. It's actually all very confusing. Anyway, to try and correct this issue, my thyroid medicine has been upped and I have to take a small dose of a beta-blocker and then get rechecked again in 4 weeks. I'm crossing my fingers, all goes well. It's weighing on me heavily! It sounds ridiculous, but one of my first questions to the doctor was if this was going to have any effect on my upcoming surgery plans. He didn't think so. I'm praying that the Ins. Co. doesn't try to change their mind and say I'm a risk now. I truly believe your not given more than you can handle… but lately I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed. I need a break from all this negative news!

7 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

Oh, Michelle

So sorry to hear of the discouragement you're having right now. Nothing like feeling kicked when you're already down. I'll spare you any sunny-sounding cliches and simply say "that really sucks".

Strength to you as everything gets sorted out and will pray all falls into some semblance of order and reassurance for you. *hug*

nabukay said...

hi michelle,

sorry to hear about your health that is all you need right now. even though we are so far away we still hope for the best for you. this is just a rough patch and i am saying this for you as much as i am saying it for myself.

love lots.

chris k said...

Sometimes you're on the bus, sometimes you're under it. Hang in.

holski said...

I'm really sorry to hear your news. I would feel exactly the same if it was me. =(

Shontelly said...

So sorry to hear Michelle. :(
What a bummer. O well, it'll come. Your just not ready yet. Your teeth that is. I know YOU been ready!!

Hang in there babe, it'll be alright. :D

stephanie said...

Every woman in one half of my entire family except for me (not kidding - my grandmother, mom, 4 aunts, 5 cousins) are suffereing with a thyroid disorder. I know that in all of their treatments, there have been times like what you're going through. My mom had the heart thing, too, and she has completely regained control over it. Hopefully it will work out for you, as well, and you're in my thoughts! I know it sucks, but hopefully all this will result in is you have to get more blood tests more often to make sure your levels are staying on track, and your body will respond well.

Thinking about you!

allison said...

Oh boy. That's not fun.

I have hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's thyroiditis). If you have any questions, let me know.

Hope you're well!