Friday, February 22, 2008

Just another day...

It's been a few days, and I'm trying really hard to think positive. As disappointed as I am, how I feel is not going to change anything. I need to march forward and hope for the best. Thank you, for all the support you have sent my way:)

If you have been reading my blog for a little while, you will know that I have had a really hard time with my lips. They are still quite sore most of the time and after an adjustment, they get incredibly swollen and really hurt for several days after. During the really difficult weeks, I use the hydrocortisone ointment that the dermatologist recommended. It helps, but only briefly. So, I decided to try and research this a little more. Just recently, someone posted a message on Archwired, saying that they thought they were allergic to the archwire or the ligs because of swelling. Then, a few other people posted similar issues. The consensus seemed to be that it may be an allergic reaction to the elastic ligs. Now, I have never known I was allergic to latex before, but maybe my body has decided it doesn't like it anymore. I'm guessing now, when you go to the doctors, I'll bet most places use latex free. So, I'm going to check with the Ortho. First, to see if he uses latex free gloves and also to see if he has any latex free ligs. I hope he does just so I can see if this is the problem. If it isn't, I may just have to deal with the fact that the metal in the wires is the culprit. I'd like to be able to rule out the latex first though.

On another note, something else has been bothering me too. I wonder if anyone else feels the same way? I started this blog, and it has helped me immensely. The friends I have made and the support group we have, is invaluable. What bothers me though, is that I have told my family and friends all about it, I told them I write down what's going on, post pictures… and do you think they would ever go to it?? No! Just once I would like to be surprised by a message from them. I just don't understand why something that means so much to me, means nothing to them. Maybe this whole orthodontic journey has consumed me and they are sick of hearing about it. I just don't know! At least I have you guys! Thanks for letting me vent today:) I feel better already!

9 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

Here's hoping you're able to easily test the latex lig theory, and if so, that everything clears up for you. It definately has been a thorn in your side throughout your journey, hasn't it. There's got to be a connection there somewhere...

I do hear your frustration about lack of interest/involvement from those more directly related to you. This IS a big deal, so you'd think they'd suck it up & at least feign interest. I just gave my blog link to my folks & they're actually reading it...but they knew I was writing and never asked for it, I had to say "here it is!" I haven't really told others about it as I know I'd most likely face the same disinterest.

Overall, I don't know if initially I talked about it too much and everyone got bored...if they're concerned and don't want to think about it...or that it was my choice so it's up to me to deal...Very rarely do my family ask anything about it aside from a general 'how's it going with braces' question on the odd occasion. If i want to share something, I bring it up. Maybe they're saving up for the main event, I don't know. i DO know what you're saying!!!

Michelle said...

Hmm...funny you say that. I totally have not shared this blog with any of my close friends or family. My husband sits at his computer next to mine and he always looks over, I tell him stop looking, like if I am posting a blog. Its kinda weird. I just know they wouldnt understand. Maybe you should think like that. The great friendship that we have all grown to cherish is because this is something that is DEAR to US all. I think unless you go thru it, you just cant appreciate it. I wouldnt let it get you down, let them be there for you in other ways that WE cant! That little "I love you mom" or "thanks Dear" let that be your inspiration. Us Ortho buddies will stick together and be the wind beneath your wings. Here's to you!!!!! ")

stephanie said...

I gave mine to my mom, only because she lives across the sound and I don't see her often... and then she never even looked at it! She's been complaining the last MONTH about not being able to see my braces, but then doesn't care to look at the pictures I posted.

I agree. Argh.

I hope the latex thing works out for you!

Shontelly said...

Hey lady.
I tell some of my friends & family too. The only one who gives a crap is my dad. The rest just don't seem interested. Would we be if we wasn't going through it? I think once they see me they will be interested. Maybe they won't even notice! I have no idea.
Hey, at least you have some idea as to what's going on with your lips now. I like how the other Michelle put it, "let them be there for you in other ways that we can't." Nicely said Michelle.

nabukay said...

hi michelle,

i think my sister checked out my blog once but most people are not that interested to check it out. i think its like what other michelle said, its not that they don't care. its just that they care about other things. as for your lips they have been bothering you and at my last adjustment i had a reaction to something they used and my lips swelled up and i was in agony. the ointment they gave me helped a bit. have the latex checked out immediately cos you don't need to go through this. Good luck with it and remember everyone in your family loves you to bits. they just probably don't think it would be interesting to read a blog about braces cos they can't relate. i have no idea if i would have been interested if i had not gotten braces myself. i think of you as the mom of my ortho buddies. have no idea why but that's what i feel...

Heather said...

Hi Michelle, I think the only people interested in my blog is my daughter Emily (she's 12)and my husband Chuck. Emily reads everyone's blogs with me and asks how everyone is doing. I think the reason no one else in my family reads my blog is because they've already heard everything from me directly and maybe they don't feel like they need to read it. It would be nice to have my mom and two sisters read it once in awhile but when I started this I never expected their support. My older sister just a couple of months ago asked me why my lips stick out so much. It really hurt my feelings but at the same time she's obviously ignorant and doesn't have a clue what I'm going through. She surprised me because her son is getting braces in just a few months. If it were my child and I didn't know anything about it I would be researching the hell out of it. I still do alot of research because I don't want any surprises. That's why I like reading everbody's experiences. Your information is invaluable to me.

Tara said...

I completely understand the frustation of others not reading your blog. I have only two friends that check it regularly that aren't surgery buddies. It's funny when people want you to e-mail them all the details, and then you tell them to just read your blog and they never do. It must be that we are all obsessed about it, because I check everyone's blog first thing every morning. Oh well. I'm glad that you all want to know what's going on and that you all keep me updated. I have NO idea how I would have gotten through this whole thing without you all.

laura said...

My family doesn't read my blog either! I wondered about it too. They're overseas and pester me for email when I don't write often enough, and yet the blog is sitting right there, pics and all! Even my friend with braces doesn't read it.

I don't know what's up with that, but ah well, at least if none of them are reading it I won't feel self-conscious.

laura said...

You know what else? I'm not going to write this on my blog because they might read it at some point, but my parents don't even seem to want to hear about the surgery.

It's not like I'm talking about it all the time, either. Just told them about it when I decided to do it, and give occasional updates in my emails. I mentioned the surgery to my Mum last time we spoke on the phone (she always asks for news and it's the next big event in my life), and she barely responded.

I don't think they get what a big deal it is. Or perhaps they do and it freaks them out that I'm changing my face when they don't think it needs to be changed. I wish they'd be more supportive though, or at least show some interest.