Tuesday, November 13, 2007

RPE FREE

Today was the BIG day. Everything went really well. The expander came out so easy, with very minor pain. I wouldn’t even really call it pain. Some of my teeth are still a little sensitive so, when he was using his little “plier” like appliance, I felt a little pressure/sensitivity. Nothing more. The real shock came when my tongue found the roof of my mouth. WOW!! It is so big in there. The sides of the roof of my mouth were a little sensitive the first few hours but now, it’s feeling good. Next, they placed the brackets on my bottom teeth which was the easy part. Then, they put in my TPA. I was dreading it. It’s funny because Heather put bands on my bottom teeth and two more on my top teeth after Dr. Post took out the expander and I guess she forgot that I was having a TPA put in because she had to take the top bands back off to weld the piece on that the TPA goes in. I tried telling her that maybe we should just forget about the TPA altogether but, she said we could until the “big cheese” found out. So, the TPA is in and it isn’t nearly as bad as the expander. I mean, I would much rather have nothing but, I guess I can do it. I was hoping I would be talking and swallowing normal again right away but, I definitely think it’s going to take me a few days. My tongue is a little confused right now. We just got done having dinner, swallowing food was so strange. It felt like it was going down way to easy. It didn’t have to go up and over or around an expander anymore. I already have a big sore in my mouth. I actually think my mouth is going to have a tougher time getting used to the bottom braces more than the top. Oh, I hope they toughen up quick.
The disappointing part of the day was, I had to go back to a nickel titanium wire instead of the stainless steel. That means, the triangle gap isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. I tried to tell him I was in a race with someone to see who’s closed first! He laughed , but didn’t budge. So I got an 014 NiTi on the bottom and an 018 Niti on the top. UGH!! Should I concede now?!?!
So… here are the newest pics. Heather says I look good in blue so, that’s what I went with. Next appt. is on December 18th. My daughter and I will be getting red and green together.
I’ll post again in the next day or two to let you all know how things are going.



7 comments:

Michelle said...

Awesome, I am so happy you got the big trouble maker out! The TPA looks tolerable. I never seen one before, so thanks for the shot. Your teeth are playing games on me. The gap looks different from the day before, now the bottoms are back to touching and the triangle looks almost gone. A quick glance and I may not have even noticed a triangle, so dont concede yet, you are well on your way. I have been looking in the mirror all day, I keep hoping that upon one look it will be gone. Well hope you have a great RPE free week!

Shontelly said...

So that's what a TPA is.. interesting. Doesn't look bad at all.
Hooray for being RPE FREE!
I agree with the other Michelle, your gap/triangle looks almost gone!!
Can't wait to see the color scheme you come up with for Christmas. :D

Tara said...

Congrats on being RPE FREE! Like Michelle and Shontell, I have never seen a TPA before. It is definetly smaller then the RPE, but I'm sure almost as annoying. It's amzing how something that looks so small fells so HUGE in your mouth. Good luck with it, and I'm too looking forward to the Christmas bands! This time in braces I never once had bands, always the wires wrapped around. Which makes for LONG appointments when they have to take the arch wires off. And it feels OH SO good on the jaw (could you feel the sarcasim?)!

Kristy Eng said...

wow your mouth must be in heaven...it definitely is a relief gettin that thing out eh, i know from experience as well. Looks like you are on a road to great having a beautiful smile

Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Michelle,
Congratulations! I was thrilled to get my RPE out and have it replaced with a TPE. They are so much better don't you think? Like really no comparison I could actually almost forget the TPE was in my mouth, whereas that never happened with the RPE.

Anyway...you are just one step closer to reaching your goal and trust me, that is great news!

Happy eating!

Brandy

Brandyleigh35 said...

I meant TPA, (trans palatal arch) in my above post don't know why I typed TPE...LOL..

megan said...

i'm happy you got your RPE out. I might have to get one, and I'm worried about it, and i need somebody to explain it to me because my orthodontist didn't even tell me what it was except it was a key thing i had to turn once a day to fix my bite. if you can, give me as much info as you possibly can. I'm only in high school, and I'm worried about the risks and complications too.