Monday, October 1, 2007

Still patiently waiting

I've been fighting off a cold for the last few days, finally I'm feeling a bit better. I figured I would give a more detailed update today.
Since my SARPE, I feel that my gums are a little numb still. The most noticeable spots are around my 4 front teeth. A little bit above my front teeth on the outside but, mostly on the inside behind my front teeth. My right lateral incisor is still quite sensitive too. I very rarely chew on my right side (which I didn't prior to surgery either) but, when I try to, that tooth feels very very sensitive. Something has to be happening with the nerves in that area.
I still don't really bite into anything with my front teeth. I did try a few soft things just to test them out but, they are still quite sensitive and not as stable as I would like them to be.
I know things take time and I'm still only 4 months post op. I'm just anxious for things to start feeling 100%.
I think my biggest concern right now is my open bite. It seems to have gotten so much bigger since surgery. I didn't even realize how bad it had gotten until I compared the pictures. I'm hoping a stronger wire is going to help with it. I see the Ortho on the 16th and he told me at my last visit that he would be putting in a stainless steel wire this time. Has anyone had any open bite issues?
I hope that one day I won't have to cut everything up and eat it with a fork and knife. I went apple picking this weekend and it was so horrible not being able to take a bite out of a freshly picked apple. Maybe next year!!
I'm trying to look on the bright side this week. Although, I don't have a date to have my expander removed, he did say the beginning of November. I was thinking, even if I got an appt. to go back 4 weeks after my appt. on the 16th, that would only be 6 more weeks to deal with it. I can handle that (I think). So, I'm shooting to have it out on November 13th or sooner. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!!!

3 comments:

chris k said...

Yeah your bite has opened up more. It's all geometry. Imagine to concentric circles or arcs. When you increase the radius of the larger one (i.e., palette expansion) it gets further from the smaller unchanged one. Of course this is a rudimentary explanation as there is another dimension of space when considering your mouth. I'm such a nerd. I love Geometry.

Michelle said...

Chris,
You are too funny. I got a much needed laugh after your last post and this one somehow put's me at ease.
Sounds like we'll be having the same Lefort I. Lucky us!!

Michelle said...

Just hang in there Michelle, I know exactly how you feel. I really thought something was wrong with one of my incisions because the gums were so sore and just didnt feel right. I was real close to talking to my OS about it, asking him if he screwed up. Im glad I didn't, I kept telling myself to give it some time. Those gums just went thru a major ordeal, they need time to recoup and regain those tiny little nerves that you feel tingling. Just know that the tingling means good things! I would try not to worry about the open bite, after all look at how wonderful you look already, you have already come along way and it really hasn't been that long. Give yourself a couple more months and you are going to be estatic with the change. Yes, indeed I will continue to follow you guys thru your surgeries, I wouldn't miss an update for nothing. I know how much the support helps and helped me thru my surgery, I wouldnt leave you guys hanging. Well, keep taking pics, that is the best way to see change. You can sit there and stare and compare!! I love it! Chow for now and thanks for all the great comments on my smile, I'm really feeling blessed!